Care of Mouth After Extraction
- DO NOT RINSE MOUTH TODAY. After 24 hours rinse mouth gently every 3 to 4 hours especially after meals using one-quarter teaspoon of salt to a glass of warm water. Continue rinses for several days. Do not swish vigorously.
- Peridex. Use Peridex chlorhexadine mouthwash as instructed.
- Bleeding. Following extractions some bleeding is to be expected. If persistent bleeding occurs, place gauze pad dampened with Peridex over bleeding area and bite down firmly for half hour. Repeat if necessary. If bleeding continues, go to the Emergency Room and follow up with an appointment in our office.
- Swelling. Ice bag or chopped ice wrapped in a towel should be applied to operated area half hour on and half hour off for 4 to 5 hours. Avoid eating and drinking hot food for 24 hours.
- Pain. For mild to average pain use any non-aspirin type of medication you like.
- Food. Light diet is advisable during the first 24 hours. Do not use liquids through a straw.
- Bony Edges. Small sharp bone fragments may work up through the gums during healing. These are not roots: if annoying, return to this office for their simple removal.
- Sneezing. When you sneeze, do not try to hold it back. It causes a lot of pressure that can upset extraction site.
- If any unusual symptoms occur, call the office at once.
- The proper care following oral surgical procedures will hasten recovery and prevent complications.
Care of Mouth After Extraction of a Baby Tooth
- Have patient eat a soft diet for 24 hours following extraction.
- Avoid warm foods for 24 hours as it causes bleeding.
- Following extractions, some bleeding is to be expected. If bleeding occurs, fold a square of guaze and have patient bite down for 15 minutes. If bleeding continues, repeat.
- For pain, have patient take whatever over-the-counter pain medication they normally take.
- If the patient took home their tooth, place it in a mixture of 50% bleach and 50% water for one hour to clean and sterilize it.
- If any unusual symptoms occur, call our office at once.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS, PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL OUR OFFICE @ 517-223-3779.
Click the Services below for more information on each subject.
Click the Technologies below for more information on each subject.
Click the Post Op below for more information on each subject.